Friday, August 5, 2011

Big Moose Lake

McMahon's Dock
(playing w/fisheye feature on camera)
We were fortunate to spend last weekend in the Adirondacks!  What a treat.  Brian's parents have been going to Big Moose Lake every year for over 30 years.  I'm afraid I'd get the exact family history and stories wrong, so I'll leave it at that.  You'll have to pin down an original McMahon for those details. 


I had been to Big Moose once before but it has been probably 8 years since Brian or I have been there.  It was incredibly relaxing and fun.  I ran, we waterskied, we read books (I was the only one reading a paper book this weekend; everyone else had e-readers!) and Logan got to hang with his grandparents and uncle.  My phone was turned off for 5 days.  It was great to be unplugged for awhile.  Not to mention the fact that we actually got to spend some time together.  We get so caught up in work, chores, email and texting that it seems like days can pass without us really connecting. 

Friday was grey and a little rainy.  We took advantage of a break in the weather for Logan's first boat ride.  He did great!
Getting ready for Logan & Bear's first boat ride!
Watching the trees whiz by
Grandpa at the helm while we sit back and enjoy the ride.
Reading with Grandpa and Grandma
Logan and Grandpa had a blast with this steel can (who needs toys?).  Paul would make a sound into the can and then Logan would do the same.  They went back and forth for quite a while.  It was pretty entertaining for all.
Your turn, Grandpa!
A kayak served well as a playpen on the dock
Paul took Logan out in the kayak a few times.  They both enjoyed it.  Paul paddled them around the docks, saying hi to the neighbors and showing off his grandson.  Many of the people in camps around the McMahon's have been going up there for as long as they have.  They watched Kevin and Brian grow up and shared fun times with Paul and Betsy.  Everyone was very excited to meet Logan.  I suspect his grandparents have been doing a bit of bragging!!
Logan's first kayak adventure
Off to see the neighbors
We had great weather on Saturday and Sunday.  Sunny and warm (but not oppressively hot like Boulder and Rochester) - perfect weather for dipping in the lake and waterskiing!
Practicing boat driving skills

Before we arrived, Paul and Betsy (maybe just Paul?) cleared the rocks away from the shore and created a bit of a beach where Logan could play.  The neighborhood collected various sand toys and lent them to us for the weekend.  Logan had fun playing with the sand and putting rocks through the spout of a watering can.  I don't think he ate a mouthful of sand the entire time we were here (unlike in Mexico a few months back)!

Splashing in water with Grandpa
Grandma and Grandpa were gracious enough to watch Logan for us several times so we could waterski with Kevin.  What fun!  Kevin seemed to be in his element on the water.  He is a skilled waterskier and boat driver.  Thanks for the great advice and driving, Bil (I sometimes call him Bil because he is my brother in law).
Beautiful Big Moose Lake
Brian driving while Kevin skis
Some kid-free time!!  Woohoo!
Kevin showing us how it's done
Kevin at the helm
Brian's first time slalom skiing!
My turn!
My cutie pie
Betsy and Paul lovin' life at Big Moose
Learning boat driving skills from Uncle Kevin
Gobbling a bag of o's
Snuggle bug on the dock

Our last night there, we took the boat to dinner at the Glenmore.  Their dock was full, so we parked nearby and walked a little bit to the restaurant.  Logan got to ride on Dad's shoulders.  I think he's heard me grumble about Dad's navigation skills and is pointing the way...just in case.
Ah...the visit was a bit too short.  Wish we could have stayed longer.  Guess we'll just hold onto our memories and plan the next trip!  

No comments: