Monday, June 13, 2011

The Mighty Black Canyon

The first weekend in June we went to the Black Canyon with our friends, Dennis and Sue.  They offered to watch Logan while Brian and I climbed.  Of course, we jumped on the idea.  The Black is Brian's favorite place to climb.  I've enjoyed many routes there with Brian and definitely get excited about it.  It is indeed a special place.  Without a doubt, however, it is one of the more intimidating places for me to climb.  As soon as we drop down a gully, I'm wishing we were on top.  And, as soon as we're on top, I quickly forget my aching feet and the knot in my stomach; wondering when we'll get to do another route.  I know... crazy.  And, hard to explain. 


Aside from having massive colds, everything went really smoothly.  Sue and Dennis were able to leave early on Friday to secure some campsites for us and had dinner waiting when we rolled in about 9pm.  We had a lazy Saturday morning and dropped down the Cruise Gully about 9:30am. 
Early morning tree climb!

Mmmm...coffee.
Logan rackin' up

Almost ready to head to the Cruise Gully
We climbed Journey Home which was super fun. It was tame by Black Canyon standards (shorter, not very much choss, easier climbing) which was perfect for this weekend. It's been awhile since I've done a long route and I felt a bit rusty, not to mention congested.  But these days, when I get the opportunity, I go regardless of other circumstances!

While we were climbing, Dennis, Sue, Logan and their dogs, Lily & Cammy, goofed around the Black Canyon and had lunch in Crawford. It was a beautiful day and, by all accounts, sounded like they had a good time together.


Sue and Logan at an overlook
Thinkin' about throwing Logan over the edge.
Luckily, for us, he stopped crying. (joke!)

While we were climbing, Sue and Dennis took Logan to an overlook to look for us.  Turns out they were looking in the right direction but didn't know it at the time.  We are somewhere in the middle of this picture:
We got back to camp around 3:30 or 4.  So nice to get back before dark!  We cracked the obligatory beer and ate some food, enjoying a quiet, warm afternoon in the North Rim Campground.
Sharing Mom's apple

Dennis and Sue got out for a hike after we got back.  We were glad they had time to do something fun, too.
Sue & Dennis
The following morning we made a big breakfast and then hit the road for home.  We all wanted to beat the Sunday I70 traffic jam and, well, there isn't much to do there if you're not climbing.
Sunday morning.  Logan had killer bedhead.
Sue on K.P.
So, let's see... Logan has been to the Moab area and now the Black Canyon.  Is the Diamond next on our list of special mom & dad places? Ha!  I think that will have to wait for awhile.  I guess Chasm Lake would not be out of the question - we could watch Dad climb one day.  Stay tuned for our next adventure!

No comments: